Sunday, January 10, 2021

Bout of Books 2021 - Day 7

Welcome to day 7, the last day of the 2021 (Winter) Bout of Books. 

Looking through some of my oversize books, I came across The Journey That Saved Curious George: The True Wartime Escape of Margret and H.A. Rey" by Louise Borden and Illustrated by Allan Drummond.


 
Yes, it's a wonderfully illustrated tale of the early writing career of H.A. Rey and his wife Margret and their lengthy stay in France, particularly Paris.  They escaped from Paris in May 1940 just as the Nazis invaded the City of Lights. It took them four months to travel by bike, train, and ship from that city through the countryside to first the Spanish border, then Portugal, and finally to Rio de Janeiro and at last to New York City. 
 
The Rey's had emigrated to Rio in the 1920s, became citizens there but wished to write their children's books in France. They were fortunate to be citizens of Brazil when WWII broke out. 

This slim book is filled with photographs and illustrations that show the evolution of Curious George and many of their other tales for children. 

I smiled at the illustrations, remembering the stories first read to me by my parents and then by myself. Knowing more of the Rey's history and career adds to my love of these books.
 
 
For those of you who enjoyed my commentary about books I've been reading, you'll be happy to know I have more posts coming out on this blog starting mid week. I'll probably post once a week. You can follow me through this blog and on Goodreads https://www.goodreads.com/user/show/1557957-miriam. I don't post on FB too often.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment