Wednesday, January 5, 2022

Joys of Reading 3 - Bout of Books Read-a-then Jan 2022

On day 3 of the Bout of Books Read-a-thon (Jan 2022), I’m concentrating on a personal joy of reading, especially reading in place.

Joy 3 - Learning Something New

What’s the best thing about reading and books? You can learn something new with each book you open, with every new subject you explore.


Learning doesn’t have to stop when you graduate high school, college, or even graduate school. Learning should continue for your entire life.  In fact, it’s called life-learning and, for me, it’s the highlight of my day and week.

Life-long learning

There’s nothing like exploring a new subject through a book. Now that I’m retired, I can take a deep dive into a subject, explore a tangent, or even dig into those small niggling details an author throws into a book. 


Historical fiction, be it a straightforward story or a mystery always teaches me something. In the past few months of reading historical fiction, I’ve learned about stock market manipulation and crashes, lots about World War I and World War II, and even about ladies’ fashion. 


This weekend I read “The Blackbird Girls” by Anna Blankman  https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/40939440-the-blackbird-girlswhich was set in the aftermath of the nuclear plant explosion at Chernobyl. The book, written for teens and adults, focused on the fate of two young teens as they were sent to Leningrad while their mothers (the fathers having died in the aftermath of the nuclear meltdown) healed, found work, and were finally able to bring their daughters home. I learned not only about how Russia covered up the incident, but also about Russian life and struggles in 1986. 


Reading fiction or non-fiction brings me joy and an opportunity to learn something new. What types of books bring you joy as you read in place today?

No comments:

Post a Comment